Saturday, July 1, 2023

Transparency key for dealers websites

Transparency key for dealers’ websites https://ift.tt/rnavRZh

TO THE EDITOR:

I recently purchased a new vehicle at a Toyota dealership near where I live. I looked at their online inventory listing of the model, trim and color combination I was interested in. I saw they listed its MSRP. I contacted the dealership through their online chat and was soon introduced to my Toyota salesman, who called me back on my cellphone right away. So far, so good!

I mentioned that I was thinking of buying a new vehicle, specifically the one listed on their site. I made an appointment the same day and stepped into the dealership thinking the price listed on their site was what the vehicle was being sold for.

There, I found out what was listed online was NOT what it was being priced at. First off, the salesperson mentioned a markup price for the hybrid vehicle, which currently is in high demand. Also, there was a package added, which bumped up the price even more.

Working over 20 years in the automotive industry, I thought I had the upper hand when dealing with a dealership. The online listed price was not 100 percent accurate, as full disclosure was not the case. Full transparency online is crucial for a positive buying experience with any customer. To prevent anymore “gotcha” moments at the dealership, I’ll ask upfront next time what the true cost of my vehicle is.

HIEU NGUYEN, Senior analyst, Kelley Blue Book, Irvine, Calif.

No comments:

Post a Comment